Saturday, September 6, 2014

Becoming an Aunt Grew My Heart

My older sister and I are 11 years apart while my youngest sister and I are 18 months apart. Was this purposeful? It depends on who you ask. If you asked my parents, they'd tell you no. They tried to grow their family for 11 years. But I'm guessing if you asked God...He'd say "Yes!" It was HIS purpose. We can see the purpose now, but His purpose isn't always understood as it's unfolding in front of you.

Despite the age range between us, I consider my older sister one of my best friends. Growing up, however, our relationship wasn't the case simply because there was such an age difference. I more than likely played the role of "annoying younger sister" at all sleepovers and hangouts. But as I became older, our relationship grew closer. I remember going off to college my freshman year and calling my oldest sister to talk about the hard adjustment I was having to college life. Luckily, I had followed in her footsteps and was attending Miami University just as she and her now husband had many years before. I had fond memories of Oxford and had vividly remembered visiting her in college for Lil Sibs Weekend. My youngest sister and I loved cramming into her dorm or apartment room to spend the night. I think these memories and visits to the quaint town really grew my desire to become a Miami graduate too. I was so thankful to have my sister to talk with and share my experiences. It allowed our relationship to grow.

Years after my oldest sister and her husband were married...they began the adoption journey to bringing home my nephew and niece. My nephew came home at 4 months old from Guatemala and my niece came home from China at 10 months old. What a blessing it was to be an AUNT for the first time. Now, at ages 12 and 11, I can't imagine our lives without them.

These experiences with my nephew and niece grew my heart for international adoption. At an age when marriage for me didn't seem in the very near future, I still remember thinking that I wanted to adopt some day. I probably didn't comprehend the true hardship, both emotionally or financially, but God sparked a little flame the day I became an aunt.


No comments:

Post a Comment