Monday, March 23, 2015

29

     Twenty-nine. The significance of twenty-nine probably doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot, unless you're someone like me...someone who counts. I'm a counter. Believe me, counting is not something I've always done..but I've learned to be pretty good at it.

    Normally, I'm good at counting to twenty-four. Sometimes twenty-five or twenty-six. But never twenty-nine. That's not a number I count to...except this last time. I counted to twenty-nine. Twenty-nine is a very different number than twenty-four. It's even enough different than twenty-five or twenty-six. But I counted to twenty-nine and then...just like that...it was time to start over...beginning at number one.

     The number one began with other counting too.  I counted the number of bedrooms in our house. I counted the number of occupied seats in our car. I counted a lot of other things that made the number twenty-nine hurt even more. But then I began to count the number of papers and appointments we've already checked off our list. The number of things we'd have to do all over again if I counted past twenty-nine. And once again, I'm thankful that I'm good at counting to twenty-four because I don't like counting to twenty-nine.

     Someday, I hope I lose the art of counting. The only thing I want to count...is the moment right in front of me...staring at me and asking me to do something with it. Embrace it. Love it. Be grateful for it. Share it with the people around me. Somedays that's easier said than done. But here's to not counting...at least not to twenty-nine.


1 comment:

  1. I'm a "counter" too. I count steps as I climb them. I count telephone poles as I pass them. I count seconds in elevators. My mom did this out loud when I was little. I don't know if she was teaching me to count or teaching me her OCD. But from one counter to another, I count:

    1 husband that loves his wife
    2 kiddos that love their mom
    3 nails that prove the Savior's love
    4 Murrays that make a family
    And 5...
    5 is the hope we have in a future that is yet to come. It's coming, it really is... just not yet.

    ReplyDelete